Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Day 3 of Occupy Des Moines and I'm already exhausted!

Just because I put the tent, sleeping bags and travel toothpaste in the van doesn't mean I've actually stayed over night at the Occupy Des Moines camp site yet.  But that doesn't mean I am not already exhausted from the movement!

The Sunday night arrest set into motion a string of events, all of which have led me to the current oh-so-flippin-flappin-tired state in which I currently find myself.  

I didn't arrive home until 6:30 AM from the Polk County Jail on Monday.  With taking the kids to school directly afterward, work (thank Dog I am self employed and can be flexible), picking the kids up and taking them to activities AND staying committed to the movement and spending some time with my fed-up-brethren, I am one tired puppy who has yet to catch up on the sleep I missed the first night out the gate.  

One has to wonder, did Ghandi have a caffeine drip?  Did MLK, Jr. have a stash of Red Bull in a mini fridge that he had carried to each event?  How did these great leaders keep on keeping on without a little help of a stimulant?

The movement is like nothing else I have been a party.  With any other rally or movement, there is a set agenda and goal in mind for everything from press relations, body count, and what constitutes victory.  When we planned out the great, "March for Women's Rights" while I worked at NARAL, it was a collaborative effort with Feminist Majority, PPFA, NOW, Emily's List and like a zillion other women's groups.  The mission statement ALONE took three months to create!  EVERYTHING took time, planning, compromise and painstaking attention to detail.  

This movement, on the other hand, has had none of that.  No real planning, no real strategy, no high priced spin doctors, no marketing or media talking points, etc., etc., etc.  Indeed, this movement doesn't have funding, no newsletters, no auto calls from high priced telemarketing firms, no leaders or focus groups paid for with donor funds.  Instead, this movement is running on nothing but raw People Power.  It's exciting and exhilarating - but some times frustrating (EVERYTHING has to be discussed in a Democratic Setting and EVERYONE wants to be heard, no matter how much I don't want to hear them - DAMN IT!).  

But so far it seems to be taking shape.  Three days in and we have secured a permit from the state of Iowa which should keep us from getting arrested again any time soon.  Committees have been established for press relations, legal issues, clean up committees and security during the encampment.  Thus, I have found myself on the Permit Committee and the Press Committee.  Both of which seem to be working well so far.  We did obtain the permit - victory.  AND, we have made mad press for the past three days.  The Huffington Post is nothing to sneeze at baby!

So I am tired, impressed and ready to power on with the Occupy Des Moines movement; but not until I get a decent night's sleep.  Crap on a cracker, I am wiped out - where's my Vivarin?      

No comments:

Post a Comment